Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Progress?

So last night, I wanted to explain Sciatrix’s awesome zucchini pun to my family over dinner (it was kind of relevant to the conversation, I swear!) However, I’m not out to them yet, and they don’t know much about asexuality other than it does exist (which is a great start), so I’ve been trying to casually drop hints and feed them little bits of information in a, “Hey isn’t this interesting?” way so that when I do come out, hopefully it won’t be as big a deal. So for them to understand this amazing joke, I had to define a few different terms, like squish and zucchini.

Me: A zucchini is like a platonic life partner. I don’t know why they call it a zucchini. It’s someone that you live with or close to and see all the time and who won’t ditch you for a romantic relationship. Someone that you can kind of share your life with.*
My sister: Oh! Isn’t that what some asexual people do?
Me:*staring* Um, yes. Yes it is.

So that made me really, really happy. Right now the plan is to come out to my immediate family by the end of the summer. I know it’s a personal decision and there’s no pressure, but I want them to know because it’s important to me. And I know my mom, at least, would think it was really interesting, and I’d like to be able to share some of the stuff I’ve been reading about it.

*I may be oversimplifying this a bit. But I was talking to my family, who are totally new to this whole thing. This isn’t Asexuality 101, what I’m doing with them. It’s more like Remedial Asexuality**, to get them up to speed for Asexuality 101.

**On that note, I'm not sure if I like the term "Remedial Asexuality," but I can't think of a better one right now. Is there another term for those classes you have to take if you don't know anything about a subject and aren't prepared for 101?

2 comments:

  1. Eeeeeeee, people besides me think that squashing pun is funny! I have to admit, when I came up with it I was pretty sure I was the only person who would find it amusing. >>

    I am glad you're easing into telling your parents! To be honest, that's the way I did it when I was gearing up to come out--it took me literally years of careful ground-building before I actually felt comfortable telling them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love clever puns! I spent close to two days trying to find a way to share the awesomeness with someone without saying, "So I was reading a blog on asexuality..."

    ReplyDelete